Managing Stress (cont'd)
Some coping tips
Once you’ve figured out which thoughts are unrealistic or relate to circumstances you can't change, try replacing them with thoughts that are more realistic and more positive. Think about statements you can tell yourself to relax yourself.
- Accept that life is unpredictable.
- Procrastinate when it comes to worrying. This allows you to have greater control over your anxious thoughts. Set aside a period of time when you can look at what's worrying you calmly.
- Beware of overly critical thinking.
Working on behaviors
If you’ve identified unhealthy behaviors (like drinking, overeating, etc), try replacing them with healthy behaviors . Take care of yourself!
- Reach out for support from family friends, and even online support groups
- Try to eat healthy and avoid too much caffeine and sugar
- Exercise regularly
- Avoid alcohol and smoking
- Get enough sleep
- Find stress-relieving techniques that work for you
- Accepting uncertainty
- Finding a support group
- Test your stress smarts
- Coping with stress in a down economy
- Finding work-life balance